Monday 20 January 2014

Totes Amazing!

I need a bigger bag. I can't bear to see a gorgeous handbag crammed with clutter and yet I am the worst culprit, always on the go with things spilling out from my overstuffed bag. 

Enter the tote bag. I've never really owned one but I will. Soon. Well, this year anyway!

Totes are roomy handbags with handles that are often, though not always, large enough to go over the shoulder. They are made to carry lots of items, so they are the perfect companion for work, gym, shopping, a day at the beach, or as a carry-on bag for travel. They are usually rectangular in shape, and may have a completely open interior or be divided into compartments. Tote bags are no longer just a practical bag, but also stylish and elegant. They are perhaps the most versatile bag out there, which is why most women have at least one in their wardrobe, be it fashionable or functional.

I have decided that mine must look exquisite but also be practical. I would like to be able to fit everything in one bag instead of carrying a handbag and other random bags, which is what I usually do. It needs to be able to carry an iPad, phone, chargers, cosmetics, umbrella, gloves, maybe a scarf, and sometimes there will also be books, water, kids' drinks and snacks, small purchases and so on. The tote will have to be suitably chic for a meeting but practical enough to carry things to yoga or to to the beach. It would be a bonus if I could fit in a picnic for the beach or is that going too far?

The ultimate one for me would be the Large Dorset Tote in Oak Soft Nappa







Such a beautiful classic in the softest leather imaginable. It is actually on sale at the moment on the Mulberry website at £297, down from £495. I hope you are reading this Mr Dorset Fashionista, as I know how you love a bargain, and Valentines Day is just around the corner! And the name of the bag - it's obviously meant to be!

Anyway, moving on. I also love the iconic Longchamp Le Pliage Large Shopper £68 








There are so many colours - I like the navy one above. This is one of Kate Middleton's staple bags and is made from nylon and trimmed with leather. This is the answer to a versatile yet practical every-day bag - it is light-weight, water-resistant, packable and very roomy - perfect for carrying all your essentials! This bag would look great with a casual outfit but is still appropriate for a more polished look.


Next up is the perfect tote for work from LK Bennett - Kelly Leather Large Winged Tote £245




A timeless classic in black, but this also comes in tan, peacock blue and my personal favourite in soft gold (see below). This colour would be perfect if you wanted a bag to use for work/evenings/ weekend.





The Autograph Double Handle Large Tote at £49.50 is a really great price for an every day bag. Below it is pictured in mink, but it also comes in navy and black. 




And this one from Topshop at £36 to give your outfit a pop of colour. It does come in black and green but I love it in orange!





I also can't resist sneaking this one into the list as I would love this for the beach and being out and about with the kids. It would have to be in addition to one of the others though!

Cath Kidston Large Paris Tote now £42 from £65



Might have to plan a trip to the Mulberry factory shop in Somerset to check out the Dorset tote.

Remember a girl can never have too many bags!

Finishing with an outfit from the other day, going to choose bathroom floors with my Mum in Axminster! We also went to the lovely River Cottage Canteen.



Greige jeans - Zara AW13
Light tan boots - Office AW12
White layering tee H&M (old)
Cream Jumper - Zara AW13
Butterfly scarf - Zara AW12

Back soon with more finds from the January sales....

Abbi x


1 comment:

  1. What great bags, am such a Longchamp fan, have about ten of them.xxx

    ReplyDelete