Thursday 6 February 2014

Everyone should have a statement skirt...

Last week, while shopping in Exeter, I made quite an odd purchase. The moment I saw it, I knew I had to have it, confirmed two minutes later when I tried it on. It is this skirt below from Topshop:



It is utterly fabulous because:

1. The shape is amazing - more of a lantern shape than A-line
2. The muted pale pink colour is gorgeous and ticks the trend for pastels this spring
3. The material has a sort of quilted texture
4. Midi length means it can be worn now
5. It has a really retro 1950s feel to it, but at the same time feels very modern

Despite all of the above it also feels like an odd thing for me to buy because it looks too glamorous and impractical for day-to-day life in the country.

Obviously, I decided to get it anyway! I think the key is to dress it down with a grey sweater and ankle boots and switch to a simple tee and pumps when the weather gets warmer. I still don't know where or when I am going to wear it, but I am really bored of my normal look, so am trying to mix it up a bit. At the moment my uniform seems to consist of skinny jeans, ankle boots, grey jumper of some kind and scarf with stars on. Don't get me wrong, I love this look, but after months  of being permanently zipped into my Parka I want to wear something fun.

So, how easy is it to pull off a voluminous skirt look? I would say not easy at all! To avoid looking frumpy or swamped in a big ball of fabric you need to balance out your top half with a fitted sweater or T-shirt to show off your waist. You can wear a shirt with it, but it must be tucked in. And shoes should be heels or pumps.

Here are some other fabulous midi skirts out there at the moment:

Topshop Moto Denim Midi Skirt £35


Love this denim version which would look great worn now with a sweater and later with a white tee and pumps.

ASOS Full Quilted Midi Skirt




This one is reduced from £50 to a bargainous £35. Team with a simple top, statement necklace and heels for a night out.


ASOS Full Midi Skirt £20


This skirt is such a great price and perfect if you prefer a less voluminous look as the pleats make it more floaty.

Floral Jacquard Midi Skirt £55

I love this one as it has a similar textured fabric to my Topshop one, and florals are such a huge trend for spring/summer.

Topshop Diamond Jacquard Midi Skirt £48




Very similar to the Bubble skirt, this looks very designer and is perfect for the summer months.

So, what do you think? Do you like this style of skirt and would you wear it?

Finishing with what I am wearing today to go to a meeting. Trying to stay warm and cozy!




Hush Rosie dress in navy/marine (AW13) available in the sale here
Russell & Bromley Boots (old)
Animal print scarf - Zara (AW13)

Back later in the week with another trend I am loving at the moment...

Abbi x

3 comments:

  1. I adore your purchase! I hope you do get to wear it lots. I have several midi skirts, one in particular has been hard to pair with things but if it stops raining I now have the right shoes for it (they're suede). I love the quilted styles you picked out but I really should not be shopping this month! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would really love to see this skirt styled as it's a great shape but I wouldn't have a clue how to wear it......I have leather look pencil skirt and I'm having the same problem with that too! Could you do a little try on session so we can see? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great purchase! I love the colour and the quilted texture. I can't wait to see how you style it. xxx
    The Jolly Fashionista

    ReplyDelete