Saturday 27 September 2014

School Run Essential: Parka

Last week my second article appeared in Dorset magazine (October issue) featuring Mums at my sons' school in their typical school run outfits. Almost all the Mums I interviewed said that their key transitional item at this time of year is a parka coat. It ticks all the boxes for this time of year being both warm and showerproof as well as stylish. No longer just for dress down days, the parka has been given a modern and on trend refresh.

Here is my guide to the best ones around at the moment, starting with Topshop where I bought my own parka three years ago. I've had so much wear out of it and it still looks as good as new. Here is the updated version, a real classic that will live in your wardrobe for years to come:

Faux Fur Trim Parka Jacket £98


Next is this parka from Hush - it would be very high on my wish list as I just love the twist from the contrasting fur hood:

Parka £170


I also love the faux fur lined hood of this modern classic from Whistles (and you can get 25% at the moment with Grazia magazine using code WH25AW14):

Donnie Faux Fur Lined Parka £195


A great option in navy from H&M that is both practical and affordable:

Lined Parka £49.99


I'm also a big fan of parkas from Great Plains - this year it comes in dark indigo:

Nosey Parka £120


If you want to steer clear of the traditional khaki, I love this burgundy version from New Look (it does come in khaki as well):

Burgundy Faux Fur Trim Hooded Parka £44.99


Finally, I had to include this waxed version from Oasis, very practical but super stylish at the same time:

Showerproof Cassie Borg Wax Lined Parka £88


And here's an outfit from this week, not in my parka yet, it's still far too warm:


Boyfriend Jeans - Mango SS14
Blue Chambray Shell Top - Mint Velvet SS14
Scarf - Mint Velvet Sale SS14
Sandals - H&M

Do you have a parka and where is it from? Or do you have one on your wish list? As always, I love to hear from you....

Abbi x

9 comments:

  1. I couldn't live without my parka for the school run.....you can't beat one with a hood for those rainy days when you've got your hands full with all the kids bits!! I bought a Topshop one last year, which I can't wait to get out again this year. I am with you on the Hush one....that is totally gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hush one is so lovely, I'm glad I don't need a parka as I'd have to get it!
      A x

      Delete
  2. I'm still trying to get my head around parkas, the practicality really appeals, but my giantess proportions make me worry about looking like the honey monster on a camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots around that are much sleeker than the traditional bulky ones - M&S are good for these!
      A x

      Delete
  3. I have the Target Dry Emily parka which is more of a waterproof and a Dorothy Perkins one from last year which isn't quite cosy enough. I've just ordered two from Oasis to try, the Cassie one you featured above and the Bella one too fingers crossed. They're a staple for autumn and winter I think. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know about the Cassie one, looks so gorgeous. I have the target dry georgia - so useful aren't they? That's my 'proper' raincoat!
      A x

      Delete
  4. I need a new one and love the Hush but will probably end up with Asos or M&S if I'm honest. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Lynne, I have the Target Dry one but I also have a great Warehouse one which I've worn loads in recent weeks....so I totally agree about how great it is for transitioning between seasons! Ax

    ReplyDelete